How to Roast Potatoes
How to Roast Potatoes
So delicious and so easy that you may never roast potatoes any other way.
This recipe goes well with just about any style of eating! Plus, potatoes are available year-round. The best time to make these toasted nuggets is during cool weather; fall, winter, or spring give this technique for roasted potatoes a try.
Prep Time: 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 - 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Hardy herbs like thyme and rosemary
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley leaves, minced
- Prepare Oven: Adjust oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 450°F/230°C (or 400°F/200°C if using convection).
- Place a rimmed baking sheet in the oven to preheat as well.
Prepare the potatoes and oil:
- Heat 2 quarts water in a large pot over high heat until boiling.
Carefully add 2 tablespoons salt, baking soda, and potatoes. Stir.
Return to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until fork tender about 10 minutes.
- Infuse Roasting Oil with Flavor: Combine olive oil, thyme or rosemary, garlic, and a few grinds of black pepper in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat.
- Warm garlic just until it begins to turn golden, about 3 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Now to the Roast Potatoes. Drain potatoes. Return to pot and allow excess moisture to evaporate.
- Strain garlic and herb-infused oil through a fine-mesh strainer over potatoes. Reserve garlic and herbs. Season potatoes with a little more salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat, shaking bowl roughly, to create a thick layer of mashed exterior paste on the potato chunks.
- Transfer potatoes to the preheated baking sheet. Spread potatoes evenly.
- Return sheet and potatoes to oven and roast, without moving potatoes, for 20 minutes.
- At the 20-minute mark, turn the potatoes over.
Continue roasting until potatoes are deep brown and crisp all over, another 20-30 minutes longer.
- Add Extra Flavor: Transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Add toasted garlic/rosemary mixture and minced parsley.
- Toss to coat and adjust seasoning to taste. Enjoy!
Balanced Meal Suggestion:
Enjoy these delicious crispy roasted potatoes with a serving of protein packed chicken, tasty asparagus spears, and a buttery salad with your choice of dressing.
- 2 whole potatoes ~ 200 grams
- 1 palm-size roasted chicken breast ~ 120 grams
- 8 small asparagus spears ~ 80 grams
- Large handful of butter Lettuce & 1 tablespoon dressing
370.5 kcal, 33.5 grams protein, 49 grams carbs, 5.6 grams fat