How to make Wraps with Lettuce or Tortillas
May 26, 2020
Chicken & White Bean Tortilla Wraps
While this recipe is delicious as is, you can always enjoy the wraps without chicken for a vegetarian option, or replace the tortilla with a lettuce wrap for a lower carb meal.
Prep Time: 30 mins
- 1/3 chopped onion (60 grams)
- 1-2 cloves smashed garlic (8 grams)
- 1 jalapeño (30 grams)
- 1-2 tsp cumin
- Pinch cayenne
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup white beans (176 grams)
- 1 1/4 cup pulled chicken breast - to minimize prep it can be helpful to buy a whole cooked chicken from the store and pull the chicken meat from the body. You can use the rest of the meat in sandwiches, in soups, and on salads for the rest of the week!
- handful fresh parsley or cilantro - optional
- 1, 5.3 oz container plain greek yogurt (~125 grams)
- Juice of half a Lime
- Pinch of Salt
Wraps (Lettuce or Tortilla):
- Rinse and Drain Lettuce Leaves
(Or you may choose to use flour or corn tortillas in addition to the lettuce wrap – a double wrap)
Beans and Chicken:
- Heat onions, garlic, and spices in an oiled skillet on the stovetop at medium heat until onions begin to brown
- Add the white beans, a squeeze of lime, and if you want, parsley or cilantro to your pan and heat for a few minutes
- Add your pulled chicken to the already hot pan alongside your cooked bean filling to heat up
- set aside on low heat until ready to serve
- Mix yogurt with a squeeze of fresh lime and pinch of salt for a delicious and very simple tangy sauce
Tortilla or Lettuce Wrap:
- Tortilla: Heat your tortillas in the oven at 350° for around 4 minutes, in a pan on the stove until hot to the touch, or enjoy at room temperature
- Lettuce wrap: Peel away whole lettuce leaves to use for the wraps. Rinse and dry leaves. Romaine is sturdy and adds crunch. Boston or Butter lettuce is soft and wraps well but is not as sturdy as Romaine.
Assembly: Add bean mix, then chicken filling, top with a spoonful of tangy yogurt sauce. According to some, the only rule about eating these wraps is "once you pick it up you can not put it down ~ finish it"!
Balanced Meal Suggestion:
Enjoy your chicken and bean wraps as a version on tacos or burritos with toppings such as salsa or avocado.
*For a lower carb and calorie option use lettuce wraps instead of flour tortillas
- 2 eight-inch tortillas
- ½ cup white bean mix
- Protein (beans and chicken) ~ 125-140 grams
- Spoonful yogurt sauce ~ 20-30 grams
- ¼ cup avocado ~ 20-40 grams
Macronutrients: 488 calories
43 grams protein, 45 grams carbs, 14 grams fat